YTN Cup Seoul & Busan Sunday: Race-By-Race Preview (May 21)
The YTN Cup, the second leg of the Stayer Series is the headline race on Sunday. See here for a fuller preview. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:35 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 11:50 to 16:35. Here’s the race-by-race:
Winner’s Man won the 1st leg of the Stayer Series (Pic: KRA)
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(9) RAON HOLIDAY was a much-improved 3rd at start number four on April 15th, finishing 2nd in a quick time. He raced on the speed for the first time and while he draws wider this time, expect similar tactics today, and he can go one better. (8) CANDY GLOW will be challenging him for the lead. He enters off back-to-back 3rd place finishes, both at this trip and both in good times. She’ll surely be in this a long way. (3) BURUI JILJU returned from nine months out to run 2nd over 1700M on March 26th, sitting handy throughout. That was a big effort first-up, but he’s had eight weeks off since and he will be expected to go close here. (11) NEMO SPIRIT and (1) FINE DAY are other potential improvers.
Selections(9) Raon Holiday (8) Candy Glow (3) Burui Jilju (11) Nemo SpiritNext Best1, 4Fast Start1, 6, 9, 10
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Not the strongest of maidens and that will make (10) SEONGSIL INDONG a warm favourite. She steps up marginally in trip for the first time following three fair efforts over 1200M when she has run on well each time. Moon Se-young climbs on board today and it will be no surprise if they win. (2) TRES VITE on the other hand comes back in trip after a couple of spins around 1700M including a last start 4th on March 26th when coming from off the pace. He draws well here and should be competitive. (4) WONDERFUL FOX has shown slight but noticeable improvement over her three outings culminating in 5th place last time over this trip. Her times haven’t been quick but if she continues to get better the same rate, then she will merit at least a place chance here. (6) EURO GANGJA and (1) GEOMOON others in the minor money frame.
Selections(10) Seongsil Indong (2) Tres Vite (4) Wonderful Fox (6) Euro GangjaNext Best1, 8Fast Start5, 7, 8, 9
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
No fewer than five of the twelve are up in class last stat winners. We’ll side with (10) K N GOLDEN KING. With a 3rd and a 2nd from his first two starts, it was no surprise when he duly obliged when favourite over 1200M on April 8th. He made all that day so he does have the challenge of a wider draw, but he also comes up in trip so has an additional 100-metres to the turn and that could be enough for Moon Se-young to find his desired position. (6) FLYING LIGHT won on debut and while he took a couple of goes to figure things out at this class, he comes in off a strong class and distance 2nd on April 16th, well beaten by a good winner, but a strong performance, nonetheless. He draws well to sit handy or race on pace and a repeat will put him in the finish again. Returning to the up in class ones, (5) HWANGGEUMKKOT and (4) MIR POINT look the most likely to measure up. (8) WALGADAK another of those with experience at this level who can go close in what is a very competitive race.
Selections(10) K N Golden King (6) Flying Light (5) Hwanggeumkkot (4) Mir PointNext Best8, 1Fast Start1, 4, 9, 10
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
A very competitive maiden to open proceedings on the south coast and it’s hard to be confident about much of the form. The one thing is clear is that (4) VELOCIRAPTOR has the fastest time for the distance among these, recorded three starts back when 3rd, and that is enough to give him a chance here. He didn’t go well over a mile last time but back to 1300M and from a good gate, he has as much chance as any. (5) TOO CUTE GIRL and (9) HAMA come sin having run 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced one another at this distance on April 16th. There wasn’t much to choose between them that day – it was for both their best performance so far – and with them both carrying the same weight, we’ll side with Too Cute Girl by virtue of having the better gate. (2) MIRACULUM and (11) VERLUC are other possibles for the minors.
Selections(4) Velociraptor (5) Too Cute Girl (9) Hama (2) MiraculumNext Best11, 8Fast Start3, 6, 10, 11
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (1) BURUI KKOT is yet to win from twelve attempts but has no eleven top five finishes including four as runner up. She comes back in trip after several near misses at 1300M, she has the plum inside gate, which should get her on to the speed with a minimal amount of fuss and an apprentice jockey takes her weight down. This could be her day. The main danger is (8) TROT QUEEN. She was 5th to Burui Kkot’s4th with little between them when they raced one another over 1300M on April 8th. She too is yet to win but has good times at this distance and she will be running on strong late. (5) WONPYEONG GWANGYA comes back in trip after weakening late on over 1300M in her latest two. From a good gate and under a light weight, she can be on pace and in this a long way. (10) GOLDEN LUCKY and (3) HONEY PUNCH, the latter who can have her latest outing forgiven as she was first up following a lengthy absence, are others to consider.
Selections(1) Burui Kkot (8) Trot Queen (5) Wonpyeong Gwangya (10) Golden LuckyNext Best3, 11Fast Start1, 2, 5, 9
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) HANEUL MISO remains a maiden following thirteen starts but enters with her recent form at class and distance reading very well. She has been back to trial since her latest 3rd place on April 16th and se won her heat in fine fashion three weeks ago. She draws well here, carries a very light weight, and today can be her day. (7) DOCTOR CUCKOO is up in class having secured his maiden win on April 28th when stalking the lead early before taking things up turning into the straight and going on to win by however many he please. This is tougher but the manner of that victory suggests there is more to come, and he shouldn’t be dismissed. (8) SEOGWI CHUKJE is another maiden, but she comes in following three consecutive runner-up finishes at this class, two of them at today’s distance. Among them was the fastest time for any of these over the 1200M and the wide draw shouldn’t be an issue. (6) B.K. GALLOP and (1) CHEONGMA POWER others in the placing frame.
Selections(2) Haneul Miso (7) Doctor Cuckoo (8) Seogwi Chukje (6) B.K. GallopNext Best1, 5Fast Start2, 4, 6, 7
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to go past (9) BAEDARI WANGJA here. He comes in having won well at class and distance on April 22nd when close to the speed throughout. That win had been coming and he also has the fastest time for the distance among this field. He comes up 3.5kg in the weights but he can settle handy here and should prove too strong again. (8) CHOEGANG HYEONMA remains a maiden after five attempts but has never finished any worse than 5th. He comes up in class after his third placing landed him with a rating, but he looks nicely in weight-wise, Moon Se-young gets on, and the additional trip can suit. (5) MENI WONDERFUL ran 4th to Baedari Wangja’s 3rd on his most recent start on March 19th. There was a length and a quarter between them, but he comes in fresh after nine weeks off and can go close. (4) COMPLETE LEADER and (7) V QUEEN over potentials for the places.
Selections(9) Baedari Wangja (8) Choegang Hyeonma (5) Meni Wonderful (4) Complete LeaderNext Best7, 3Fast Start2, 4, 5, 6
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(4) WONDERFUL FILE ran a smart 2nd place at class and distance on April 30th when settling midfield and finishing well. She comes in at the same weight and draws a much better gate and today can go one better. (5) DALLILLAEYO has six top five finishes from eight starts. One of those misses was last time out when a slightly disappointing 7th of twelve at class and distance alongside some of today’s rivals but he has previously run well at this distance, and he comes down slightly in the weights. That win may still prove elusive, but he shouldn’t be far away. He will need to overturn the form on (3) CENTUM THOR, who ran 2nd ahead of Dallillaeyo in that race which was on April 16th when settling right at the back and running on. He benefits again from an apprentice claim and another big run is possible. (1) DOCTOR PENTAGON and (7) FIRST PARK among other minor money hopes.
Selections(4) Wonderful File (5) Dallillaeyo (3) Centum Thor (1) Doctor PentagonNext Best7, 8Fast Start1, 4, 7, 8
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) YOUNGYOUNG SOCKS may prove hard to hold out here. He has five top-two finishes among seven career starts and has won at this distance. She comes in following a good 2nd when on pace throughout at this class on April 15th and while she was the beaten favourite that day, and she comes up 2kg, she is worth another chance. (10) SPO BLADE had a rough time from a wide draw in the first leg of the Triple Crown, the KRA Cup Mile, at Busan last month. He is already a class and distance winner though and while he carries 4kg more than he did in that win, which was on April 2nd, he looks nicely in this. (2) BEAT RUNNER stepped up to this class and distance on April 23rd and ran a good 2nd. She stays under a light weight and from a good draw should be close. (9) WONDERFUL INDY was slowly away last time out but can be given another chance here. (3) AMAZING WHIZ, who comes back in trip, is another in the hunt.
Selections(1) Youngyoung Socks (10) Spo Blade (2) Beat Runner (9) Wonderful IndyNext Best3, 5Fast Start1, 9, 10, 11
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) PEOPLE POWER was an also-ran in the Luna Stakes, the first leg of the Triple Tiara a month ago and she skips the Korea Oaks in order to come back to a class and distance at which she was successful in a quick time on March 24th. The draw isn’t ideal, but she has plenty of time to get to the front and she looks the one to beat. It’s a good race though. (4) FAST GUN comes up in class having finished no worse than 3rd in four starts so far. At his only previous try at this distance, he was a very close 2nd in a quick time, and he should measure up in this company. (1) ALIVE STAR came from off the pace to run 2nd at class and distance on April 23rd. The same apprentice keeps his carried weight down and he can go close again. (2) YONGGARI and (10) GOBLIN among others in the placing frame.
Selections(9) People Power (4) Fast Gun (1) Alive Star (2) YonggariNext Best10, 6Fast Start6, 7, 8, 9
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Good race for the level. (5) JAY PHOENIX is probably the one to beat. The four-year-old has never finished any worse than 4th and enters off a strong 2nd behind a good winner over class and distance on April 23rd when close to the pace all the way around. He draws well to be up with the early leaders here and may take some beating. (1) RAON THE POINT comes up rapidly in class having won his opening races in fine style, leading all the way both times. He comes up slightly in trip too but is down in the weights, draws very well for the third time, and retaining his 100% record isn’t impossible. (7) GLOBAL MAGIC and (9) MAESTRA came home 3rd and 5th respectively when they raced one another over 1200M on April 15th. Global Magic doesn’t exactly win out of turn but is an ultra-reliable winner while Maestra was tackling this level for the first time. Both can go close again. (4) DREAM SPEED another to keep safe.
Selections(5) Jay Phoenix (1) Raon The Point (7) Global Magic (9) MaestraNext Best4, 2Fast Start1, 2, 5, 11
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Another competitive race. (2) SANGSEUNG BOY just about gets the nod benefitting as he does with a 4kg apprentice claim. That takes him to 3kg lower than when he ran 3rd at class and distance on April 21st and coupled with a better gate, it can be enough to bring him home on top. That would mean overturning the form on (4) SEOBU TEUKEUP, who ran out an unexpected winner in that April 21st affair, racing on pace throughout. It’s fair to say she mixes her form, and she does come up in the weights, but she too draws better and shouldn’t be dismissed. (1) MAN OF THE YEAR had a poor day at the office when 5th in that April 21st race. That was his first try at this class having run out a strong winner over 1300M in March and he can be given another chance today. (6) MAN OF THE MAN and (8) D’LOVELY QUEEN others who can enter the calculations.
Selections(2) Sangseung Boy (4) Seobu Teukgeup (1) Man Of The Year (6) Man Of The ManNext Best8, 5Fast Start1, 2, 5, 10
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) YTN Cup (KOR-G3) Weight for Age / KRW 500 Million
The second leg of the Stayer Series. The 2022 Korea Cup and Grand Prix Stakes winner (6) WINNER’S MAN won the first leg of the series, the Herald Business Cup over this same course and distance on April 16th and he’ll be heavy favourite to score again. He occasionally has his off days when it counts, such as in last November’s President’s Cup, but he should be too good. With Raon The Fighter having defected to the sprinting ranks, (2) TUHONUI BANSEOK shapes as the main danger. He ran 3rd in the Grand Prix and did actually beat Winner’s Man when 3rd in what was for both a tune-up in a class 1 race at Busan in February before running 2nd in the herald. He has three lengths to make up and it is a tough ask. (9) SIMJANGUI GODONG was 2nd in the President’s Cup ahead of Winner’s Man last November when trying to defend the title he won in 2021. He skipped the first leg of the Stayer Series having instead won at class 1 level over the same distance in March. Don’t rule out a big run. Herald Business 3rd (1) BARBARIAN, along with Tuhonui Banseok’s stablemate (10) JESSIEUI KKUM are others to consider.
Selections(6) Winner’s Man (2) Tuhonui Banseok (9) Simjangui Godong (1) BarbarianNext Best10, 7Fast Start2, 6, 7, 9
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) YEONGGWANGUILEGEND stepped up to this class on March 17th and beat four of today’s rivals on his way to his second consecutive victory over this distance in a double-quick time. He comes up 4kg as a result, but the manner of that win was impressive, and he will be favoured to repeat. None of the others enter with recent form especially convincing. (4) ILNYEOM TONGCHEON ran 4th in that March 17th race before a 5th over 1400M on April 16th. He can get a bit far back but has as good a chance as any of challenging the favourite here. (3) DAEJI CHOICE had a chastening time over 1800M on his first try at this class at the end of March but should enjoy the significant drop back in trip and from a good draw, can be a danger. (6) OREUDA and (9) AGAIN TOUCH others who can have their respective latest efforts forgiven and afforded another chance.
Selections(8) Yeonggwanguilegend (4) Ilnyeom Tongcheon (3) Daeji Choice (6) OreudaNext Best9, 7Fast Start2, 8, 9, 10
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) UPTOWN WHIZ is rapidly up in class following back-to-back wins at 1300M and 1400M, racing on pace both times. He come sup in trip too but draws well to get a comfortable run to the lead and he is the one to beat again. Plenty enter with recent form reading well though. They include (11) FIRE POWER who has shown plenty of that to match Uptown Whiz in coming up two classes in the space of two races having won back-to-back over 1400M and this distance. He carries a nice light weight here and while the draw does him no faovurs, he should measure up. (4) MUNHAK TAPIT was a winner at class and distance on April 22nd. He carries his fair share of weight here but given that win was when first-up following five months out, he should strip fitter, and he can be considered for a repeat. (7) MONEY GARAK and (8) TIZ ENERGY among plenty of others on the placing frame.
Selections(3) Uptown Whiz (11) Fire Power (4) Munhak Tapit (7) Money GarakNext Best8, 1Fast Start1, 3, 6, 10
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(1) MIGHTY LOOK won back-to-back races at class 4 level in January and February before running 2nd on his first try at this class on April 16th when settling midfield and running on, only going down narrowly. He comes up just 1kg for that effort, he draws the same very good gate, and he can win. The main danger is (9) CHOEGANG BLADE. He enters off a runner-up finish on his first try at this class over 1400M on March 18th. He comes back to the distance at which he got his solitary win with a facile effort in February and while he is drawn a touch wider than ideal because he likes to lead, he has every chance. (4) MUNHAK STORM also comes back in trip following a decent effort in his first crack at this class when 4th over 1400M. He won well at this distance two starts back and is very nicely weighted again here. (6) FLYING GOLD and (11) RAON CHAMPSELY are others in the frame.
Selections(1) Mighty Look (9) Choegang Blade (4) Munhak Storm (6) Flying GoldNext Best11, 3Fast Start4, 7, 8, 9
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 110 Million
(5) CHIEF INDY was an also-ran in the Herald Business, the first leg of the Stayer Series, and skips today’s second leg, the YTN Cup, in order to run here. He beat plenty of these when 2nd two starts back over 2000M and should really be beating all of them today. (3) URI was one of those beaten by Chief Indy a couple of starts ago but he has been quietly coming into form with a subsequent 4th and most recently 2nd at class and distance. He is nicely weighted and likes to settle back in the field and then run on. He can place again. (2) HEUNGROK DAEBU was a class and distance winner in January and while he has only managed a 4th and a 6th in two starts since, he comes into a better gate today and should go closer. (7) THE GUMPU and (6) JEONGMUN SAI are among others in the placing frame.
Selections(5) Chief Indy (3) Uri (2) Heungrok Daebu (7) The GumpuNext Best6, 1Fast Start6, 7, 10, 11